Thursday, December 2, 2010

All most there

Well, I've done it again. In a world that you're busy living, it's tough to stop and find the time to write about it. A lot has happened since my last post. My training is over, I ran for the last time today before the marathon. Tomorrow we leave for Las Vegas and Sunday is the big day. I've done a lot of running without putting anything down in my blog. I successfully ran my 18 miles but didn't my 20. The 18 went ok although I had to walk and drink every mile for the last 3. Two weeks later I ran my 20. The only problem being that it was the hottest day of the year when I attempted to run it. It was also very dry that day. I made it 10 miles before I realized that my water was not going to make the whole trip. I started rationing water and ran out at about mile 15. I tried to make it to where I could refill my water but hit a wall at about 17 miles. Fortunately, there were people at a near by park watching soccer games that gave me some bottled water. I ended up walking another 1/2 mile and had to call to get picked up. By the time I got home and in the shower I was shaking and really felt crappy. The only other person home was my son-in-law visiting from Utah and I was getting worried that he was going to have to come in and get me; bringing our relationship to a whole new level. After that, I began tapper down the amount i ran till today. Now I'll rest up for 2 days and then do the run. After my failure on the 20 mile run I started getting a little nervous that I might not be able to do it. Just last week was thanksgiving and we went to Utah to be with our daughter and her family. While there I was to do a 3 mile run and then an 8. I tried the 3 mile one morning that happened to be about 10 degrees outside. The cold air, combined with the high altitude made it almost impossible to breath. It was so cold and difficult I thought I had better try the 8 on an inside track so I went to my old stomping grounds, the Orem rec center. The same place that Allison and I met and worked together when we were just out of highschool. They have an inside track that I gave a try. Unfortunately, 1 mile took 6 and 1/2 labs around. While having issues keeping count, figuring what the total was going to have to be (over 50 labs) and my lower legs starting to get really tight; I decided to call it at 3 miles. Later I found out that my legs got so tight because of the tight loop and constantly turning while running. All of this didn't do a lot to make my nerves go away. I hope that I'll be able to shake it off and finish.

No comments:

Post a Comment