Friday, July 23, 2010

Cardiologist Down

Great News! I just got the word from my cardiologist, Dr. Carr (how appropriate is that name?), about the results from my stress Eco that I took on Monday. All signs point to YES! He said that my heart is "completely recovered". In fact, he said that it strengthens with exercise and showed no signs of any problems. It was as though I wasn't even in an accident. He cleared me to start an exercise routine. Not bad for the heart that stopped 4 times 2 years ago and was only 30% efficient.

Now I have my orthopedic surgeon appointment on Monday to clear my hip for running. I'm sure he's not going to like it as he was the one that told me to stop playing basketball (which I totally ignored). Although, he said I could keep surfing and that's the only thing that has hurt my hip since the accident so....

I do need to check in with my polmonologist since the only thing that really bothers me is my breathing. I have diminished lung capacity since they were torn open and notice it when surfing and running. I can't hold my breath nearly as long as I could before, which can get worrisome when you're being held down by a large wave. When I run it's not 50 yards before I'm breathing like an asthmatic in search of an inhaler. The good thing is that after 2 miles that settles in and I can run, until I come to too steep a hill.

I did complete my 3 mile run last night but proved that one must never "eat and run". Most people already know that but after having a late dinner with Allison last night I still had to do my run for the day so I went out at about 10:30. Getting the fun done was worse than normal. One thing you need to understand about me is that I HATE running (I guess that's why I'm doing this). The only good part about running is the stopping But, last night it was even harder. I guess I'm going to have to make sure I only run on an empty stomach.

I was reading through the diary that my sister-in-law, Brenda, kept during my recovery. It brought back many memories and got me thinking that I should share some of what went on then. So, if you check out my links at the bottom of the page you'll see on to "Care Pages" where my family posted details during my recovery in the hospital. From time to time I'll add interesting stories that aren't posted there under "My Stories" link at the top of the page.

2 comments:

  1. Great Idea all around. The title is also perfect for a book title, hint hint. A book I am reading called "My Stoke of Insight" by Jill Taylor might help you get some ideas/inspiration and is a great read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yay! if your heart is good, everything else should be easy, right? i mean, if your heart gives out you're dead (and we don't need that again), but if your hip gets stiff then you just do lots of PT.
    i'm not making any promises, but i've started running this week...we'll see how it goes, maybe i will join you and katie. but don't hold your breath on that one (especially with your reduced lung capacity!)

    ReplyDelete