Thursday, July 29, 2010

What happened next?

In my first posting I talked about my accident on lake Mohave. However, I didn't say much about what happened after the initial impact. Like I said before, most of this comes from bits and pieces that have been told to me by others (as I have zero recollection of what happened).

Upon impact I suffered all of the damage described before and caused me to drown. If you look to the right of my home page you'll see a list just some of the people involved in my rescue. Which, started first and foremost with Jordan Rodebush. He was the first to reach me and begin the process of saving me. The best recollection that anyone has is that I was in the water for about 2 minutes before Jordan turned me over and helped pull me on to boat that took me back to the dock.

On that boat was my next major rescuer, Ted Sage. Ted had just launched his own boat with his family for their traditional annual trip on lake Mohave. They were leaving the dock when another boat, speeding in the wake less zone, intercepted them asking if anyone knew CPR because someone was dead in the water and another was drowning. Fortunately for me, thou I was the one they were saying was dead in the water, I had only drowned (or "only mostly dead"). Well boy, does Ted know CPR. You see, Ted is a Fireman from Orange County (one of their best if you ask me).

Ted joined the other boat and reached me as Jordan was trying to help me. They pulled me onto the boat and Ted began administrating CPR. He complete 4 rounds before I began breathing again. That amounts to a total of about 6 minutes without air (2 before CPR and 4 during). While Ted was performing CPR the boat (and I wish I new the owners of that boat) took me back to the dock.

Once on the dock the local rangers helped to get me on the air transport to Las Vegas. Good thing for me Ted stayed to make sure all went well. Although I'm sure the rangers do well, Ted had the most experience with rescue as a member of an elite t group of firefighters, known as California Task Force 5 that travel around the country helping where ever they are needed. Ted helped to make sure that my C collar was placed correctly and that I was properly handled, safeguarding my neck and back against further damage as my neck was broken.

The next in the line of my rescuers was Bishop Tum Vongswad and Barry Bean. They were two of the people there on the lake with my group. They also hold the Priesthood of God and where able to use that priesthood and where able to administer a bless to me as they loaded me into the ambulance.

After that I was in the hands of medical professionals with all of the skill and ability necessary to save my life. They had to use all of their skills as the first challenge was in transport to the hospital in Las Vegas. While on the medical helicopter, my heart and lungs failed again. They had to work to get it working again. The best news of that day was that they were taking me to the University Medical Center in Las Vegas, undoubtedly the best hospital east of the Mississippi. I've listed on my "My Stories" page several things that I "experience" while in that hospital.

I listed several of the doctors and nurses instrumental in my treatment. I know I've missed several and will work to complete that list in time. There is a lot to go over just in the hospital so I'll save that for another posting but, I'll sum up my list of rescuers with everyone that prayed on my behalf. I believe in the power of fasting and prayer and appreciate all those who did so for me. I know that that was also a major contributor to my recover.

Now, I'm on this journey to see how far back I can come from that. Yesterday I run 4.5 miles and Saturday will be 6. The next major running milestone will be for me to hit the double digits. My training schedule has me running 10 miles on Saturday 9/4. I hope that I can make it...

No comments:

Post a Comment