Monday, July 26, 2010

Time for a second opinion

Well, I saw my orthopedic surgeon for my hip today. His response was predictable. Although my hip showed no new degradation since my accident, he's still concerned with me participating in high impact sports. He suggested that I bike and/or swim. I told him that that was only 2/3 of my plan. I still need to run. He showed me where my hip was showing early signs of osteoarthritis and where a cyst was on my joint. He went on to explain that my joint was stiffer than the other one and had less range of motion. We talked about the risk and treatments if my hip did start to get worse. I could need anti-inflammation shots, joint resurfacing or complete replacement. He told me that I could go my whole life without needing to replace it if I take care of it. However, my feeling is that I could spend the next 40 years NOT doing the things I enjoy, i.e. basketball, surfing, etc. (I can't say running because I don't enjoy it but it is my goal), and keep my hip or 20 years of doing those things and then another 20 not. Either way I can still have my grandchildren on my knee. As I see it, it's all bonus time now anyway after that day on the lake. So I took the news and immediately went out I ran 3 miles. Two more 3 milers this week and then 6 this Saturday. Next, I'm going to find a new orthopedic surgeon and get my second opinion. Maybe someone with a sporting influence. I also setup my pulmonologist for 9/10 to make sure I don't have exertion induced asthma. We'll see if I can't get 2 out of 3 thumbs up anyway.

3 comments:

  1. You know, if you want to get more flexibility in your hip you could come take my Taekwondo class Saturday mornings at 9:00 in the Multi-Purpose Room! Bring Allison! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. BTW, you are so right about enjoying the activities you love! I have a pretty much wrecked knee from injuries starting when I was 16. In January I tore my MCL during a sparring accident (not my fault, a 4th degree kicked me in the knee as he fell). My doctor said "I come from a family of martial artists, I know there's no talking you out of it" and I just smiled and said "yep, that's right!" So I need a MCL replacement but I'm just getting along with a new knee brace. At my age I'd be out too long and I'd rather spend my time doing TKD than recovering from another surgery! I'll go until it gives out completely. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brett,
    I'd highly recommend Dr. David Levinsohn for your ortho surgeon. He was the San Diego Rugby team doctor. Give me a call for contact info...
    Richard

    ReplyDelete